Kindergeld (Child Benefit)

Current News

The retrospective Kindergeld payment is restricted to 6 months.


Persons whose residence is in Germany are entitled to claim Kindergeld. EU citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement also have a claim to Kindergeld. For other foreigners, special regulations apply.
Kindergeld is allowed for children until 18 years of age.  Children pursuing a secondary education can receive an extension of Kindergeld until 25 years of age.

It is possible to receive Kindergeld over the age of 25.  An extension is possible for the duration of time that the child completed a civil service.  Also those who complete a voluntary social year can receive Kindergeld.

For disabled persons who are unable to support themselves, there is no age limit.  This regulation exists for students with a handicap as long as the handicap has occurred before 25 years of age.

Claim after Initial Education

Persons after their initial education is completed (Bachelor studies for example) are entitled to claim Kindergeld as long as their employment does not exceed 20 hours a week. Secondary education will only be considered when it corresponds both contextually and in a timely manner together with the initial education.  A claim still exists when the child changes degrees or interrupts their studies because no degree has been earned.


The application for Kindergeld can be applied for at the Familienkasse. The Familienkasse in Heidelberg is responsible for residents of Mannheim.  Applications can also be found at the Arbeitsagentur.

Application for partial Kindergeld

Typically, the parent of the child is the authority entitled. If the parents are unable to support their child properly, the child is allowed to receive the Kindergeld payments themselves. An application for partial Kindergeld must be submitted to the Familienkasse.  back


Since January 2018, the amount of Kindergeld for the first and second child is 194 Euro, 200 Euro for the third, and 225 Euro for each child thereafter.   The Kinderzuschlag is 170 Euro a month.  This can be received for parents who do not exceed a specific income amount and whose child is entitled to Kindergeld.  back

Kindergeld upon Marriage

Parents are no longer entitled to Kindergeld when their child of legal age marries because the maintenance obligation transfers to the spouse.  Only when the spouse of not able to work are the parents entitled to claim Kindergeld.  back

Kindergeld and Support

Typically, children of  civil servants fall under the support of their parents and have private health insurance.  This support exists as long as the parents are entitled to Kindergeld. As of 25 years of age, no entitlement to claim Kindergeld exists anymore and the child typically no longer falls under the support of the parents at the end of the year.  back           


For students with a child, the maintenance obligation falls under the parent of the child and therefore the financial situation must be examined.  The amount for supporting the child can be deducted from the calculation of the total income amount.

Interruption of Studies

During an interruption of ones studies, i.e. a semester off, the Kindergeld payments will be paused. This does not apply to sickness or the birth of a child.

In the case of sickness, a doctors note must be provided to the Familienkasse.  If the sickness lasts longer than six months, a notification of medical consultation must be provided.

During an interruption of ones studies due to pregnancy, the same protection regulations apply as in the Maternity Protection Act.  This applies to the duration of the semester in which the due date is expected.  If ones studies are continued in the semester directly following, the time from the end of the period of protection to the beginning of the semester will be considered a transitional period for Kindergeld.      


Internships that complement or further ones degree or internships that are considered mandatory for professional development are recognized by the Familienkasse. i.e. an mandatory internship during ones studies.
This also applies to voluntary internships but the type of internship is the focus for determining entitlement.

Secondary Education

Persons who have completed a first degree or their initial studies may be entitled only when they do not have full-time employment.  Employment of 20 hours a week or a low-income job does not hinder ones chances of claiming Kindergeld.